Friday, June 6, 2008

Catholic Group Protests Sexually Explicit Paintings

It's not surprising that a Roman Catholic group is protesting a NY student art exhibition - they're always protesting about something. This time they're angry that a Cooper Union school is displaying an exhibition which showcases a series of paintings by one of their students.

The paintings features religious symbols depicted in sexually explicit ways. For example, a man with his pants down and a crucifix in his rectum with a Latin caption that says "The day I became a Catholic." Another painting shows rosaries with a penis. Another shows a man with a halo and erection.

The Catholic group should be happy that a man of Catholic faith is so excited about his religion that he's getting an erection!

Cooper Union released a statement that they hold an annual exhibition displaying hundreds of student works without censorship. After all, what's art if it's censored? Art is expression and open to interpretation. What the Catholic group deemed as offensive, it might not seem that way to others.

These religious nut group needs to loosen up. I'm not trying to put down anyone's religion but these guys can put their time into better use than protesting art - like really helping people in need (a suggestion would be the people in China still suffering from the Sichuan earthquake)

I couldn't find the paintings in question on the web, so for anyone who's interested, the Cooper Union exhibit began May 27 and ends June 10.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am actually not religious (to the dismay of my Father) but even though I might be out on a limb here, I have no desire to see such images...I don't want to see someone with ANYTHING protruding out of their rectums!
So, I can imagine how upset someone might feel about something they FEEL PASSIONATE about being used in that matter...HOWEVER, I too do not believe in censorship.
I would just choose not to LOOK AT IT MYSELF.

Unknown said...

Also, I just think it's disrespectful more then anything...that and just tactless.
...grant you , I do know a few former Catholics that do feel the same as what is being suggested by the artist!

Anonymous said...

I'm not religious myself which probably contributes to my "not caring" attitude when it comes to art and religion. I understand your point of view, but at the same time, I still think these religious groups are nuts. They should worry more about priests molesting boys than a drawing of a man with a halo and erection (after all, that's what these priests are kinda doing huh)

But like you said, you can just choose not to look at these paintings. I think it's entirely up to the viewers. If you think it's offensive, just walk away. There's no need to censor.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.