Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Check out these Toothpick Art!

When I stumble upon this model of the Golden Gate Bridge created with 30,000 toothpicks, it brings back memories. In high school, our final project in my Physics class was to create a bridge using only toothpicks and glue. The object was build an effective bridge model that will able to handle the most weight. Being more fascinated by the aesthetic of the bridge, I built a suspension bridge model, similar to the one shown in the picture. Of course, the first weight that hit my bridge, it collapsed in two and it makes me regret not taking any pictures of my finished product first.

The bridge shown in the picture is currently being displayed at "Ripley's Believe it or not" Museum in Hollywood, CA. The artist, Steven Backman created many models and portrait using only toothpicks. I can tell you by experience that it takes a lot of time and patience to do this. I always wanted to build another model again just for kicks, but I never have the time.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh!
Crazy!
It's funny how everything is relative, I mean, people have told me they don't know how I have the time and patience to make some of my jewelry...and then I look at this and think, " Wow! This person REALLY has the time and ESPECIALLY the PATIENCE!"
Very Cool!

...I probably would have done the same thing in school too...this sounds familiar and I remember what ever I made was crumbled in moments for the same reason!
LOL!
Eh, artists!
LOL!